Sunday, April 18, 2010

Monday April 19th 0948

I am now the proud owner of a 130cc motorbike.

It has a top speed (artificial engine pin limit) of 70kmh, and is black with red stripes (pictures forthcoming). It has a small gas tank, and it looks like it's 90km/City, 120/Country. It rides just like a bicycle, except goes about 10 times as fast. I've ridden 100km on it around the maze of streets this weekend, and am hoping to get my plates in a week maybe, and maybe a helmet. This is certainly a lot different learning-to-drive experience than highway driving in a sedan! I've only had one "Eek!" moment so far (a mean chinese guy tried to run me off the road), but even that I handled with (I think) excellent reaction time. I sincerely believe that if I can learn to drive in Shanghai, I can drive anywhere.

It's registered under my chinese name Ai De Hua, which apparantly means 'the love of words' and sounds vaguely like 'Edward'.

And yes, I'll be very very careful ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty neat! Now your tourism can really take off! Do be careful, and send photos soon. Miss you here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheeeee! Have fun, but naturally - be careful!

    Why do you have a Chinese name? It suits you ideally - did you get to choose it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and definitely get a helmet....too much important stuff in that noggin to risk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to get a Chinese name so that I could fill out the registration form (like how in the states it'd be unacceptable to write your name in Sanskrit script, even if you were from India). I didn't choose it myself: it was chosen by two girls from Chi'En, and I confirmed it with my boss Garrett (who did most of the talking with the dealer). I thought the meaning was pretty neat, even if it was accidental (they didn't know about my language). Chris says it sounds like a Plains Indian name =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exceptionally cool name. You should keep it ;-)

    Hey, have someone take a picture of you. I need an updated one.

    ReplyDelete